Tenuta Bossi: The Estate.
On the wooded hills north east of Florence, and 18 km from the city, in the heart of the "Chianti Rufina" district (which has been famous for its wines since the Renaissance) we find TENUTA BOSSI. Its 315 hectares, stretching altitudes ranging from 200 and 400 meters above sea level are dedicated to vineyards, olive groves, forests and grains. There is also the imp ressive, XV century villa that was enlarged and remodeled over the centuries. The Marchesi Gondi acquired it from the Tolomei family in 1592 and extended their holdings in the area. Hence, the family has been producing "Chianti Rufina" wine for over four centuries. The estate has 18,6 hectares of vineyards where the grapes are carefully harvest and made into wine in the villa's cellars. The cellars are accessed via a large door at the front, facing the park filled with tall trees. Here, after suitable aging in countless oak barrels and barriques the wines are bottle aged. The 32 hectares dedicated to olive groves produce a fine extra virgin olive oil "Laudemio".
The owners are the Marchese Bernardo Gondi and his sister Donatella Gondi. Bernardo has been President of the Unione Agricoltori – Farmers' Union – of Florence, member of the board of the Florence Chamber of Commerce, and also Vicepresident of the Chianti Rufina consortia. The TENUTA BOSSI uses the services of the enologist, Dr. Fabrizio Moltard.
The Family - The earliest information on record concerning the noble Florentine Gondi family dates from 1197, the year that Orlando di Bilicozzo Gondi sat on the Florentine Council. The family members were also merchants, bankers and farmers. The Gondi family's influence also reached beyond Italy. They played an important role in France where they established their bank, and then, thanks to their friendship with the Medici, they followed Caterina to the royal court in Paris where they held important government and ecclesiastic positions for two centuries with four archbishops.
The Gondi coat of arms – The family participated in the battles between the Guelphs and the Ghibellines. The image is "two maces in a cross of St. Andrew" symbolizing their warrior origins.